I think the best part of running (or in this case walking) for the Windsor Heights City Council is getting out and meeting the voters by knocking doors. This week I've talked with dozens of people about a host of issues and while I'd like to share what my ideas are I'm really interested in what they have to say. So, I spend much of my time listening. Here is what I've been hearing:
- Street Repair - Some of the streets in my community are in need of repair. Two years ago the city did 80th Street and told me, at the time, it was the worst street in Windsor Heights. So, I get it and there is a plan in place but, like many of the people tell me, it's taking a long time;
- Sidewalks - I'm amazed at how civil everybody has been. It's been a hot-topic and while some are opposed I've met many more who understand that this is "building for the future";
- Property Taxes - Yep, it's true...Windsor Heights is the second highest property tax community in the metro and I've got an idea of how we start to mitigate that hurt and we talk about getting serious about economic development;
- Image - Let's face it...if you live in Windsor Heights it's a pretty good chance you like our community. However folks "out there" constantly tell me they avoid our city because of "speed cameras". I believe we can alter that image but it's going to take some work and time and somebody to carry the message. I'm in;
- Sewers and Water - As we fix roads the city is looking at repair and replacement here as well. But, as you know it all takes money and that brings us to "The Back-Fill";
- Budgets/Back-Fill - Right now some in the Iowa Legislature are considering ending the $157 million annual "back-fill" that was part of the 2013 Commercial Property Tax Reduction. If that happens communities will have to find additional resources or cut services. It's a real issue and one we need to address as a united community and metro.
Do I have some solutions to what I'm hearing? I do and in the coming days and weeks I'll share some of that vision and why I believe I can work on behalf of all our community to get stuff done.
Thanks for reading and if you want to communicate with me my ONLY cell phone number is 515-570-2220 and/or you can email me at MPLibbie@gmail.com