Let Me Help...
I am so sorry! I was a "Twitter Grump" yesterday as I begged folks who have a Twitter Stream, but fail to use it correctly, to just turn if off and stop: "Just Stop It Twitter - Our Insight".
I'm better today. So let me help you with some ways that can turn your Twitter Stream into a useful tool for business:
- Fill Out Your Profile - Give us an idea of who you are and what you want to do. Use your photo, if possible, or at least your name so we know you are...real;
- Where Are You - Give us a city, state or a state of mind...something besides longitude and latitude. Our geography ain't that good;
- Link - Link your profile to your blog, Facebook account or at the least your website. We might want to find out more about you;
- Search - Look for customers, clients, folks in your area so you can follow their ACTIVE Twitter Streams. You'll learn so much about the consumer you are trying to reach;
- Share Thoughts - We know some folks who clog their Twitter Streams with quotes of other people. Come on...you MUST have an original thought or two. Share it;
- Remember Mom - Write stuff that would not be offensive to...Mom. You and your career will thank us for that thousands of times;
- Stop Selling - We call it the 80/20 Rule: 80% of your Tweets should be about the news, what you think, what you are doing, where you are going, what you like, who impresses you, re-Tweets that mirror your thoughts;
- Respond - If somebody Tweets you or re-Tweets one of your posts say..."Thank you". Remember we want to know you are human and not a bot;
- Be Silly - Hey, it's OK. You've got 140 Characters you can be fun...just like you were in the bar last night. (OK, see #6);
- Post Photos - Folks like to see what you are seeing and doing. It adds a dimension to your...life.
- BONUS - IF you have a Twitter Account...use it? And maybe more than just during business hours. Schedule kids...
OK? I feel so much better now. I give you permission to engage!