It happens all the time. Most recently I was at The Island Coffee Haus on Anna Maria Island (If you have not been, you must go!). I was working on The Business News Hour and using their Wi-Fi. I thought I'd shout out on Twitter and asked the owner what their handle was. She told me they didn't have one, yet, but they had Facebook and just started using Instagram. "We really need to get on Twitter but I don't know how."
I said, "Hey, no problem. If you want I can set it up for you and then link it to your Instagram account." She said, "You know about social media?? I'm impressed that you keep up on that stuff."
It's the gray hair...
I mentioned that social media is just one of the tools we use for ourselves and our business, "It's what we do." I don't think she believed me...
Hey, I offered.
Age bias and social media? Sure. Because the platforms are new folks think the only people who can master the media are young people under 23. Not so. How about some updated social media tips?
- Don't Marry Them - I'm talking about Facebook and Twitter because they are two very different platforms and methods. Tweets are here and gone in a matter of minutes while Facebook Posts linger and the audience isn't the same nor is how you communicate.
- Blog Often - Beyond the engagement of Twitter, Snapchat, Facebook and Instagram there is the blog. This is an amazing tool to offer people the back-story of your business. Remember blog 3 times a week each week and keep it under 400 words. Great for SEO by the way.
- Hashtag Use - If you want to boost engagement check the #Hashtag for your particular industry and use it as well. #Coffee #BusinessLaw #Radio #IaWx (or whatever state) for weather. Find your industry and take part in the conversation. On our Business Broadcast Instagram account we use #CelebrateWorkers and post random shots of people doing their jobs...fun.
- Communicate - Ask questions, post surveys, ask for input. Remember social media isn't a one-way conversation or your private media outlet for sales. They call is "social" for a reason.
- Plan Your Effort - Have a plan for what you are going to share and talk about.
- Video - Just use it!
Have more? Share!