All this week, in the United States, there is a celebration of National Small Business Week. Since 1963 the federal government has set aside a week for a celebration that is critical to our economy. A few Small Business Facts:
- There are roughly 29 million small businesses in the U.S. which account for 54% of all sales in this country;
- Small businesses provide 55% of all jobs in the U.S. and 66% of all net new jobs;
- There are 600,000 franchise operations here that employ over 8 million people;
- The American small business sector occupies nearly 50% of all commercial space up to 34 billion square feet.
Many of you have a business that has under 500 employees so, this week is also your week. What can you do to take part in Small Business Week? Some thoughts:
- Share Your Story - Contact the local newspaper, radio or television station. Let them know this is National Small Business Week and share your small business story. Take a moment and share what your small business means to your employees and customers and how money spent with you stays in your local community. Believe us, reporters are looking for stories they can use all week long;
- Get Social - Grab the National Small Business Logo from this post and share it on your social media channels...and tell your story there as well;
- Say Thank You - Remember your customers...they are the people that keep your business in business. Post a note on social media, send a note to customers, enclose a note in your shipping items...let people know how important they are to your small business;
- Email the Message - Send out a coupon or at least a thank you reminding your email list that this is National Small Business Week...many of your customers are also small businesses.
Happy National Small Business Week!